In the 19th century Ossett was an independent community but in the last 25 years of the 1800's its pride showed when the Local Board portioned Queen Victoria for incorporation as a Municipal Borough under the act of 1882 writes Alec Metcalfe.
As Dewsbury had plans to extend its boundaries into Ossett and Soothill, the charter was granted on 30th June 1890. With this news, rejoicing was carried into the market place with a great procession from the Ossett station. Soldiers were in full state uniform on foot and horse, the streets were decorated with flags and bunting, it was a day for pride in a thriving town.
The Borough's first Mayor was Edward Clay (pictured) a rag and mungo manufacturer. (The business still remains in Wesley Street).Ossett was ahead of its time in recycling clothing. It was the centre for manufacturing shoddy and mungo, with fifty plus enterprises. Wool rags from all over Europe came here to be sorted.